Business Hours: Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Permits are necessary for businesses such as towing, commercial parking lots and garages, pedicabs, bingo games, charitable solicitation, and valet parking. SFPD is responsible for ensuring that these types of businesses abide by city regulations and investigating complaints against them.
The SFPD Permits Unit no longer issues peddler permits. Please click here, if you would like to apply for the Public Works Street Vendor permit.
Note: Permits for parades and other public events are available through the SFPD station in the district in which the event will be held. Please click here to visit our station directory.
To obtain a police permit for your business:
- Contact the Police Permits Unit by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We accept applications by appointment only. You must apply for the permit in person. The Police Permits Unit is located at 1245 3rd Street.
- You must present a valid photo ID and may need to be fingerprinted to verify that you have no criminal record.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable fee that will vary according to the business. We accept checks or money orders only, no cash or credit cards. You may also need to have some of your supporting documents notarized.
- At least one month after you apply for your permit, you will need to attend a hearing. Permit hearings are held online/virtually, via Microsoft Teams on Wednesdays at 1:00 PM. Note: Due to limited staffing, we no longer hold hearings every week.
- Click here to learn more about the SFPD hearing procedures.
- Click here to learn about the SFPD permit hearing rules.